Thursday 24 February 2011

Foster: 5 Gum - Electro + Introductions!

Hey there! It's Foster here today with the next flavour in our 5 gum coverage, Electro! (or Rain if you live in the USA.)But of course I first need to tell you all what it is we do. And please bear with me for this enormous blog post...


Tyler - Just saying "I like gum" would be pretty self explanatory but I decided I really should say a little bit more than that. Like Foster, I'm really into chocolate bars and ice-creams, but unlike Foster I'm a little bit more shameless so I'll try basically anything from Carbon Paper to Rocks to *gulp* fruit.

Jay - sup guys. Im no die hard gum fan like these two, but check out my blogs for some interesting and worthwhile facts on some of your other favourite foods. I'm a meat eating, fat proccessing, junkaholic with a fast metabolism, so i'm in pretty good shape. I'm also a hardcore gamer, C.O.D is the best dont let anybody tell you different. I'm a master of many things, science not being one of them... although... im quite good at chemistry ;)..... when it comes to food.

Foster - I enjoy trying everything, with the temporary goal of trying all chocolate bars currently in existence. I heavily enjoy all chocolate bars, with favourites ranging from high quality Lindt lindors, to cadbury boost as well as everything in between. I enjoy chewing gum as much as the next person, 5 gum acting as my staple. In my spare time i like to play guitar, read and play video games.

Now on to the actual review. The infamous 5 gum - Electro. You may be wondering why i dont let Tyler do all of the gum reviews; well it's because I also have many strong opinions about the competitive nature of the gum market... which flavour lasts the longest, which has the coolest packaging... etc.

The first thing you notice about the gum, all 5 gum for that matter, even before you unwrap the plastic, is how well designed the packet is: the strange shaped 5, the sleek black background, and the glowing picture to the right of the 5. It draws me in...

After opening the plastic, comes a smell that seems like it could fill a room. If you bought a pack and threw all of the pieces around the room, it would make a brilliant air freshener. A strong spearmint smell with a hint of coolness. If something could smell tingley, this would be it. Looking inside, all of the 12 sticks are lined up neatly against a cool looking design on the inside of the packet. Little 5's shine at me, glittering on green metallic wrappers. I take a nicely sized stick,(STICK. I will explain the importance of STICKS at a later time) unwrap it, and place it into my mouth.

OMG teh flaver stays in yer mouth for sooo long!!!!!!1
No... just kidding, like Tyler said in his post, what makes 5 gum good is NOT just how long the flavour lasts, its about the flavour quality, feel, and texture as well.

That said, the flavour is AWESOME. It is just like the smell, only more intense. It seems to focus on the flavour of spearmint over a "breath freshener" or "cool" sensation. Although there IS a large element of coolness in the gum, it is not quite as much as there is in cobalt, and i would have liked to have tasted just a little more of it. The sugarless sweeteners are spot on as well, I find it goes better with the spearmint flavour than sugar sweeteners. There is a small tingley sensation you get when chewing this gum, that comes whenever another packet of flavour dissolves in your mouth and it is quite enjoyable. After about the first 5 minutes, the initial flavour burst declines into a slightly more bitter version of the original flavour which i thoroughly enjoy. It reminds me of chewing actual spearmint in a sense. This flavour keeps up for well over an hour, when you realise that the flavour is for the most part completely gone and you grab another piece :).

Electro I have found, seems to be the softest of the 5 gum, which I think has something to do with the type of sweeteners they use in it. I actually am not a huge fan of the soft texture at the start, and would've rather had a more crisp, pulse-like texture to start out with. On the other hand I quite like the fact that it STAYS soft until the very last bit of flavour is gone, and doesn't harden up after a few minutes. I'm also very happy with the sizing, the STICK sized piece of gum feels good to chew and you don't need to chew 2 pieces at once, which gives it more value for money compared to other gums in the same price range.

All in all I am a HUGE fan of this gum and consider it one of the best of it's kind in the market.

Please give us feedback in the comments as well as at our email address. We would love to hear what YOU would like us to do and any suggestions for improving the blog. Ediblogger out!

No comments:

Post a Comment