Tuesday 22 March 2011

Crunchie: It's crunch time - Foster

Hey, I'm back again to review another chocolate bar! But first I have to say that my reviews have been a little bland in the past, so I'm going to try and spice things up with the new reviews that I'll be doing and not be so overly technical and boring, mostly by employing the use of insanely bad food puns and unnecessary smileys :).
And as always, now to the review...

Crunchie takes the spotlight today, one of the most widely recognized Cadbury bars in existence.  (Once again, those from America will likely have no idea what I'm talking about, so sorry...)  And one of the largest as well, (although it has a similar weight to most other chocolate bars).

The packaging is very bright and eye catching, and SHINY! I am such a sucker for shiny things; anything that is metallic is automatically better in my eyes, for the simple reason that ITS AWESOME. Period.
Anyways, the wrapper's all bright with contrasting colours (yellow and purple) and big toony red letters spelling out Crunchie.  It's all kind of cute, like it wants to be your friend, or was meant to be a replacement for one of the Seven Dwarfs...
The conversation might go something like this...
"Hey!, Who are you? and where's Grumpy?"
"HI!, I'M CRUNCHIE!"
"Okay... um, Where's Grumpy?"
"HI! I'M CRUNCHIE!"
"Yeah, you said that already, but..."
"HI! I'M CRUNCHIE! CAN YOU GUESS WHICH TEXTURE DESCRIBES ME BEST?!?!?"
"Um... I'm gonna take a random stab and say, uh, Crunchy."
"WOW! YOU ARE GOOD AT GUESSING! I THINK WE SHOULD BE FRIENDS!"
"Uh, yeah... I think I left something down at the mine... I better go get it..."

poor, poor dwarfs....

Moving on, I'm going to try not to be ridiculous about breaking apart every single element of the bar, as I tend to do, but I will look at it in depth.  The Crunchie certainly lives up to it's name, with a satisfying crunching sound as you bite through the honeycomb centre which shortly melts in your mouth, a nice complement to the thick chocolate surrounding it.  Basically, the taste is very simple, the toffee/almost honey-like taste of the centre dominates and is really quite addictive.  I could see myself eating a bar of just this  without the chocolate because it just doesn't need anything else.  It literally melts as you crunch it, all except for that one side that for some reason is never aerated like the rest of the honeycomb... I'm not sure why it's like this, but I don't mind it.  It sticks out from the rest of the honeycomb and doesn't melt in your mouth like the rest of it, but it really does add that extra crunch and gives you that extra layer of texture.

 Its one of the only chocolate bars that you bite into and say "Ohhhh! so THATS why they call it Crunchie! because ITS CRUNCHY!!!!".  It actually makes sense for a change.  You're not gonna bite into a milky way and say that it tastes like a conglomerate of stars and nebulae rotating around a super-massive black hole... hopefully...

 The chocolate is good-old-fashioned Cadbury and I have no problems with it.  It really enhances the honeycomb, and gives it something to contrast to.  They did put a nice thick coating on top, which I love.  It is a chocolate bar after all.  At the same time though, they didn't go overboard and drown out the taste of the honeycomb in chocolate.  Surprisingly, the chocolate provides most of the mass of the bar with 62% chocolate and 38% honeycomb, so I'm glad that Cadbury got the balance right with the flavours.

In the end, there is not much bad that I can say about Crunchie, except for the fact that the honeycomb will stick to your teeth.  It is very simple but thoroughly enjoyable.  A great chocolate bar for any time! I recommend this highly for everyone!

As always, If there is anyone out there who does follow the blog, we would love to hear your thoughts, opinions and questions, and you can share these in the comments or by emailing us or following us on facebook!  If you liked the review, please tell your friends! It would really help us out.
I'm not sure when Tyler and Jay will next post, but I'll be back in a few days with a new review!
EdiBlogger out!

No comments:

Post a Comment